Difficulty - Hard
These apple scrolls make a delicious after school or weekend snack, or serve hot with custard as a special dessert. For a variation, use chopped nuts and orange peel instead of sultanas, or sprinkle with chopped almonds or walnuts. Makes 12 scrolls.
Download Illustrated Recipe Card
1½ cups wholemeal SR flour
1½ cups white SR flour
45 g margarine
1 cup low-fat milk
2 large apples
1 cup sultanas
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 tablespoon extra milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 large mixing bowl
1 medium mixing bowl
Measuring cups and spoons
Chopping board and knife
25 cm pie dish, round cake tin or oven tray
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Turn oven to 190°C. Sift flours into a large bowl
2. Rub margarine into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Add milk gradually and mix into a soft dough.
4. Roll dough into a rectangle about 30cm x 23cm (put some extra flour under the dough).
5. Peel and core the apples. Chop apples into 1cm cubes.
6. Mix apples in a bowl with sultanas and spice.
7. Sprinkle dough evenly with apple and sultana mixture.
8. Roll up lengthwise, sealing the join with a little water. Brush roll with extra milk.
9. Cut into 12 circles and lay around in a pie plate that is sprayed with cooking spray.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and brush with extra milk. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar. Bake another 5 minutes.
© State of Western Australia, 2012. Permission is required to reproduce this recipe.
Serves in this recipe: 12
Serve size: 107 g